Send money to the Philippines Online!

Send money to the Philippines Online! makes sending funds to friends and family in the Philippines as easy


Sponsored Links
JBSOLIS is a site for overseas Filipino workers, health and insurances, OWWA, PAG-IBIG, bank and cash loans, foreclosed properties, small house designs, local and overseas job listings.
Showing posts with label laid-off workers. Show all posts
Showing posts with label laid-off workers. Show all posts

Thursday, August 08, 2019

Laid-Off Workers? You Can Now Apply For Unemployment Insurance

Being laid-off from work is one of the worst things may happen to a worker especially if he or she is unprepared. Searching for work in the country is not easy while looking for work abroad needs a little more time for you to process your requirements and application. When we are laid-off from work, we stop earning from our employers but our spending on food and other needs of our family continues.

Indeed this is a very stressful situation especially if you are the breadwinner of the family. Good thing laid-off workers can now apply for unemployment insurance.

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) issued a Department Circular No. 01, series of 2019 that states the guidelines, for the laid-off workers to avail of the involuntary separation benefit of the Social Security System (SSS).

According to DOLE Secretary Silvestre Bello III, a certification from DOLE is the basic requirements for involuntarily laid-off employees who wish to apply for unemployment insurance. But take note that this program only covers eligible SSS-member employees including Kasambahay and Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs who were involuntarily separated from work.
The certification must be secured from the DOLE field or provincial office where applicants reside or from where their company is located.

For OFWs, they can file their application at the Philippine Overseas Labor Office located in the areas where their employers operate or at their residences nearest DOLE field or provincial office.

Those who would like to avail of the unemployment benefit are also required to bring the following;

  • Valid Identification Card
  • A copy of the notice of termination issued by the employer
  • Or Duly notarized affidavit of termination of employment

Sponsored Links

  • The employee should not be over 60-years old at the time of involuntary separation
  • Has paid at least 36 months contribution; twelve of which should be in the 18-month period immediately preceding the month of involuntary separation.
  • The applicant has no settled unemployment benefit within the last three years prior to the date of involuntary separation.
  • The workers must have been involuntarily separated due to “authorized causes,” such as the installation of labor-saving devices; redundancy; retrenchment or downsizing; closure or cessation of operation; or disease/illness of the employee whose continued employment is prohibited by law or is prejudicial to his or her co-employees’ health.
Likewise, individuals who lost jobs due to the economic downturn, natural or human-induced calamities/disasters and other similar cases may also file for the said benefits.

SSS unemployment insurance is not a loan. The unemployment benefits are a new addition to the six existing SSS benefits (sickness, maternity, retirement, disability, death, and funeral benefits) that qualified members can avail.

This means you don’t need to pay the SSS for the financial assistance you will receive.

This article is filed under insurance, employer, retrenchment benefits, laid-off workers, and social security system.